Each one of us probably touches a toothbrush within the first few minutes of waking up, even though it is an integral part of our life. How much do we know about the life of our toothbrush?
Let's take a look at the various stages of the life of a plastic toothbrush and a bamboo toothbrush.
- Extraction : The plastic that is used to make the brushes is a product of petrochemical processes and releases a lot of toxins in the air and water as it is made.
- Molding : Tiny granules of plastic are loaded into a huge steel pan called a vat, to be melted to make a plastic dough.
The dough is then molded by a machine into the shape of the handle, with holes at one end for the bristles. Sometimes different colors of plastic are used and rubber may be molded onto the plastic to help you keep a grip!
- Getting the bristles: The handles are then sorted so they’re all facing the same way, with their holes upwards ready for their bristles. The bristles are made from long strands of nylon – which is another type of plastic that can be pulled into very thin fibers. The bristles are folded in half and poked into each hole – it’s a process that’s done so quickly that many hundreds of holes are filled every minute.
- You meet your brush: After the toothbrushes are ready they reach you and are put to use.
- In the trash: After use, the toothbrush enters the trash and is seldom recyclable.
- In the landfills: Since plastic isn’t biodegradable it sits in the landfills or dissociates in the oceans hurting the life there.
- Sourcing bamboo: The first step is sourcing the right bamboo and cutting it. Since bamboo grows very quickly using bamboo for toothbrushes is a very sustainable option. After being sourced the sticks are made ready for being turned into a brush.
- Sterilization: The bamboo toothbrushes are sterilized before they reach you.
- You feel happy: You get the brush and use it, you enjoy having great teeth without the guilt of hurting nature.
- The bamboo biodegrades: After use the bamboo goes back to the earth without harming anything.
Now that you know the life of the two toothbrushes, which one will you choose? The bamboo one is an obvious choice and to help you act on it, Bigbluemarble has a collection of some really good bamboo toothbrushes.
Get yours today and start living a more sustainable lifestyle - one step at a time!